Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Welcome to BARGAIN TOWN

 Bargain Town is my designated post for the Community Insight Project. This Homestead based flea market, sells everything from fruits, meat, fish, to clothes, shoes, accessories for the car, jewelry and many other things. Three huge flags of Mexico, Nicaragua, and Guatemala decorate the entrance to the flea market. One of the first shops any customer will encounter will be its open air fruit market.  Different Central and South American snacks and pastries are also on display at the mom and pop bakery in the fruit market. There were the rustling and bustling sounds of the employees unloading the shipment of fruits and vegetables from trucks to then be placed in crates and carried across to market to be distributed.
The majority of the people working at Bargain Town are Hispanic and particularly Mexican, said Gaby, one of the women running the bakery. She also mentioned that many Cubans have a vending space there too. Unfortunately, many of the shops were closed during my visit because it was still too early. Gaby suggested I return on their peak day, Sunday between 11a.m. and 4p.m.  I noticed the shops where located sides by side with barely any breathing space down a long walk way which looked more like an alley.
The distinct smell of a home cooked meal emerged from a food truck selling tacos, chimichangas, burritos among other things. Picnic tables were set up under a large tent right beside the food truck. It had a restaurant feel to it, sort of.
Throughout the time I was there I felt out of place and a little awkward. My attempt to dress casual failed, I still received many stares. It was the kind of looks where people are wondering “who is that and why is she here.”  After giving it some thought, I know I feel uncomfortable because I didn’t want them to think I was a United States Immigration official. When I first approached Gaby, I noticed she gave me a look of distrust. I did my best to talk to her about the flea market to make her feel comfortable. I can’t say I establish a friendship but I did become an acquaintance. She offered to me my guide the next time I return. Although I took my picture came, the pictures I wanted to take will have to wait till my next visit. It wouldn’t have been smart on my part to start taking pictures when the people around me were iffy about me, my note pad, and pencil.
Over all it was a good first experience. I am hesitant after all but it is challenge I am willing to take and a feeling I am willing to overcome. Sunday will be my next visit and I hope to talk to more people.

No comments:

Post a Comment