Thursday, January 20, 2011

Mexican does not mean Tobasco Sauce

During this semester, I'll be embarking on a journey to a far away place...Homestead, to immerse myself in the depths of Mexican culture and become acquainted with people of illegal status in this country. Although I am Hispanic, I know that I will learn a lot from this experience.

Hispanics even within our own people tend to stereotype each other based on someones nationality. Americans might not fully understand this because some of them out of ignorance classify us all as Mexicans. (Side note- notice how some non-Mexican Hispanics get offended when asked if they are from Mexico).Growing up in a Cuban family, there was always that uncle making a racist joke often referring to people from Central America as "Tira Flechas or Indios" which in English would mean Wet backs or Indians. For many Cubans, being referred to by any of the above terms is an insult. My parents never instilled those stereotypes in me but a lot of my other relatives did. Aside from that, my classmates in elementary and middle school were students of Cuban background. Even as a little kid I remember hearing Mexican jokes, or other children getting teased because they were called "Tira Flechas".

Now as an adult, I don't look down upon them or anything of the sort but I do feel I would be extremely uncomfortable in a social setting where the majority of the people are Mexican or illegal immigrants. Often, the media portrays these people to be blood-thirsty women abusing, carrying guns in their back pockets, and drugs in their front pockets  yelling "Bato" at each other. That is not always the case. Still, because I've already had my brain fumigated with these kinds of stereotypes I do get extremely nervous when I am around many Mexicans. As for the illegal immigrant part, I feel uncomfortable around them because I have somewhat of an idea about their situation and I feel sorry for them. I don't know how to cope around a large of people going through a extremely devastating situation.

Based on all that I've explained, I chose my Community Insight Project to be at the Homestead Flea Market. My goals at the end of the semester are to  shatter my preconceived notions of the Mexican culture, gain insight on issues affecting immigrants, learn how to manage my own personal awkwardness with a situation etc.. I am very excited but nervous. Hopefully tomorrow I can visit it for the first time.

No comments:

Post a Comment